FTC Announces September 22 Workshop on Data Portability
The Federal Trade Commission will host a public workshop on September 22, 2020, to examine the potential benefits and challenges to consumers and competition raised by data portability. The workshop will bring together consumer advocates, industry representatives, economists, regulators, and other stakeholders for a wide-ranging public discussion on these issues. To assist the agency’s analysis of this topic, the FTC is seeking comment on a range of issues including:
- how companies are currently implementing data portability;
- the benefits and costs of data portability;
- the extent to which data portability has increased or decreased competition;
- who should be responsible for the security of personal data in transit between businesses; and
- lessons learned and best practices from the implementation of the GDPR and CCPA data portability requirements.
Comments may be submitted until August 21, 2020 electronically to DataPortability@ftc.gov. If you prefer to file your comment on paper, write “FTC Data Portability Workshop” on your comment and on the envelope and mail your comment to the following address: Federal Trade Commission, Office of the Secretary, Constitution Center, 400 7th St., SW, 5th Floor, Suite 5610, Washington, DC 20024.